Click to view interactive map
The AARP published this map identifying the value of a volunteer hour in each state.
Nearly 27 percent of the U.S. adult population gave 8.1 billion hours of volunteer service worth $169 billion in 2009, according to the Corporation for National and Community Service.
The interactive map shows just how good-hearted and generous neighbors have been.
In years prior St Isabella school in San Rafael, California had one parent spending several hours a week coordinating the schedule for 3 parents per day to perform yard duty. Everything was done via phone, email and a single spreadsheet coordinated through a single overworked parent. There was considerable anxiety filling imminent unfilled openings. Often emails would have to be sent out repeatedly asking parents to email back to say their availability.
The poor overworked parent volunteer coordinator would juggle yard duty time-slots and email back parents letting them know what slots they’d been assigned to. No one was happy:
- Parents would complain they didn’t get the slots they wanted
- The coordinator always came across as imposing and served a thankless task
St Isabella is now using Parent Booker which has transformed the process of signing up school yard duty volunteers with the following results:
- parents can see the entire school year calendar and book their yard duty the next day or the last month of the school year
- parents get to pick exactly the dates they want using a web browser, iPhone or iPad app
- near zero effort is required by the coordinator and they now spend their time with their family and on more productive school volunteering
- parents can’t pull out at last minute ; Parent Booker prevents them doing this, they have to call or email the coordinator with a replacement (this rarely happens)
Parent Booker automatically sends out reminders to yard duty monitors 3 days before they are due to serve, reducing no-shows.
Automated Service Hour Tracking
An additional bonus is that yard duty hours are automatically added to parents’ service hour logs.